Monday, May 23, 2005

Reparations or No Reparations

While most of history is filled with Slavery, from the Hebrews to Africans, the question is whether there can be any justice with or without Reparations.

If my great, great, grandfather had slaves, then logically he is the one who should have to pay for any damages, just like any other civil court case. But not me.

I don't even know if any of my ancestors had slaves. But If they did and If a descendant of a slave, who was owned by one of my ancestors, were to take me to court, I doubt that any jury could morally or logically hold me responsible for what my ancestors did, any more than I should pay for what King Tut did or didn't do.

If our government does what the civil courts cannot do, then the taxpayers of this great country are being forced to pay for what someone else did or didn't do. That is not justice, that is injustice.

We cannot look at a government handout for Reparations as money from the nebulos entity called government. We are the government, and any payments will come out of our pockets, those of us who had nothing to do with the injustice that was done in the past.

We of the present should not be punished for actions by others in the past. Plain and simple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home