Thursday, September 01, 2005

Using Words Correctly

It's just amazing how we don't call things the way they are.

Looting is stealing. It is wrong and it gets play as if these people have a need to do it.


I can understand a little bit if they took food that otherwise might spoil, but TV’s, Furniture, etc. it needs to be called "stealing" and not just "Looting."

"Undocumented Worker", what a nice sounding word for "Illegal Alien."

I feel for those people affected by this disaster, but we should use words like "thieves" and "robbers" along with "Looting."

I am not saying that the word "Looting" is not appropriate. It is just that we seem to be numbing the populous to a word that is normally associated with "Valuables pillaged in time of war, spoils of war, etc."

Aren't words wonderful? We try to communicate but we have difficulty because sometimes the right word is just hard to find.

For example the word "torture." To some it can be when someone claws their fingernails across the blackboard, to others it can be playing rock music, but the dictionary uses the word "Severe pain" and usually "Sever physical pain."


Some GITMO prison come to mind? Was it really just as bad as the Gulag? Come on! Not even close. Words have meaning. They need to be precise when used.

Too bad the word "Evil" only has one meaning as well. If we throw around words that have "strong" emphasis all the time, soon they loose their meaning.

Ever notice that according to the Bible, the words "Jesus" and "God" are to be used sparingly? Words loose their importance if over used.


A good example is swearing. Ever notice how often people swear as just a normal part of their language? They are actually limiting their ability to communicate. They begin to loose part of their vocabulary. And they offend many who find bad language offensive.

Let's be more attentive to the words we use, but lets not be afraid to be politically incorrect unless we are being insensitive.

11 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

I agree 100%. Here's my post on a similar topic:

http://intellectualinsurgent.blogspot.com/2005/04/is-us-really-demoracy.html

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Free Agency Rules said...

ii,

I read your post.

One of the problems is we elect the "best advertised" person instead of the best person.

"We have the best people in Washington that money can buy." -Will Rogers Jr.

I would get rid of the lobbists and also get rid of the "Campaign Finance Reform" since it just makes it harder for people with a lot at stake to be anymore influentual than a guy with nothing at stake.

I am not against campaign contributions because those with a lot to loose should be able to help those they favor by giving of either thier time or money to support them.

We just need more say over "ethics" violations. Maybe a fund that comes from contributions that is used to be "whistle blowers?"


FAR.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

FAR -

I am curious - how do you get spam in your comments?

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Free Agency Rules said...

ii,

Just lucky I guess. :)

I just turned on Word Verification to stop spam comments.

Hope it works.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

I was thinking about the welfare aspect of FEMA and a libertarian beat me to writing about it. You'll like this article.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/perry/perry16.html

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger Tex said...

Looting is theft no doubt about it. Still, the majority of people left in New Orleans represents the poorest of the poor, many of which are below the poverty line. It's no excuse, but it does help me understand why looting is so prevalent. Considering all the sewage and soon to be disease that is running through the area, I'm shocked these people would rather take 10 and 15 VCRs instead of escaping with their lives and health.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Free Agency Rules said...

ii,

Good article. Yep, "let George Do it." - Unknown.

Very fitting since we have a George in office.

Notice I already predicted Price Controls on one of my previous posts. Even Michael Savage is suggesting Price Controls.

Shortages here we come.


FAR.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Free Agency Rules said...

P.S.

I think I will do a post on Welfare next.


FAR.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Tex said...

we already have shortages. I tried to get gas in dallas last night and the place was out. It wasn't on the news, nor was I inclined to call and cause a panic. I've done things to make sure the gas will last a little longer. I quit using the A/C, a big mileage killer. I've started going the speed limit which I should have been doing all along, and I grouped all my tasks together. This should last me a little longer. Hope wherever you are, the shortages won't come quite so fast.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

Perhaps Americans will benefit from the shortages by appreciating what they have rather than being gluttonous and wasteful. I really hope the gas shortage encourages people to buy hybrids and push for alternative fuel sources. I am going to get rid of my SUV and get something wiser.

Let's hope some wisdom comes from this.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Craig DeLuz said...

So could you tell me what the meaning of "is" is?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home